Transforming your 8 Hours of Z's
Weekends are for sleeping in, quite obviously, but if you're like me, you can't really accomplish the "in" part very often. A full eight hours at best, and up before 9am regardless of how late I was out the night prior, I still find that relaxing around the house – however conscious I may be – is a wonderful, therapeutic tool for relaxing and recharging for the week ahead. We recently moved into our dream loft, and this past weekend being our first true weekend in the new place (where moving boxes wasn't a part of our agenda), we took full advantage of a few lazy hours, coaxing ourselves slowly into the day.
Blessed by a beautiful open fireplace, we pulled all of our bedding out to the living room to enjoy the warmth an additional natural light – which has literally transformed at least eight hours of each day thanks to the high quality sheets, duvet cover, and new pillows, all from HomeSense.
Luckily, we happened to choose a sofa that actually transforms into a bed. We chose the Pryce Sleeper Sofa from Wayfair Canada from Wayfair.ca which folds out (no, it doesn't pull out it folds out!) so easily it's actually ridiculous. It makes for the perfect at-home, lazy Saturday as well as the essential piece when having guests over. I'd recommend this transformable couch to anyone, especially those living in small-ish spaces but wanting the versatility of being able to have overnight guests.
My Tips for Getting a Better Sleep
- Get new pillows. Don't be like me and wait a couple decades before finally purchasing new pillows. Good pillows that are right for your body and the way you sleep are essential for a full night's rest.
- Get new, 400+ thread count sheets. Also incredibly important are high-quality sheets. We purchased 500 thread count, which we like – they are soft, durable, and breathable, which helps to ensure you don't get too hot or too cold at night.
- Get a new duvet and duvet cover. As it turns out, there's such a thing as temperature-control duvets. I have no idea how they work, but wow, do they make a difference! Say goodbye to waking up in the night too hot or too cold.
- Establish a before-bed routine. If you're a tosser-turner, then you might seriously benefit from establishing a nighttime routine to help coax your into your sleep every night. This routine, when performed with repetition, will tell your brain that it's time for bed, and if you're successful, the sleep hormone melatonin will start being released just in time for your 8 hours of Z's. I prefer journaling and reading each night before bed, and this sleepy-time routine has worked wonders for me.
- A new mattress, perhaps? This is the obvious one that is seriously capable of changing your whole life. My suggestion before you invest the dough, though, make sure it's your mattress and not just simply your lack of a boxspring that is causing your nighttime discomfort. We found that our sleep transformed simply by adding a boxspring below our existing mattress, whether due to the higher elevation, greater support, or both.
- A transformable couch for your guests' Z's. There's nothing like a regular, too-short soft to induce a lack of Z's. If you plan on having guests over, like ever, invest in a transformable couch – the modern and fashionable alternative to a pull-out couch.
There you have it: your conscious life is bound to change indefinitely the very moment you make the effort to transform your 8 hours of dreamland. Dot your I's, cross your T's, get your Z's.